Kidney stones are very hard mineral deposits that form in the kidney. They start out as a tiny microscopic particle and over a period of time turn into stones. These form when the urine is very concentrated. Due to this level of concentration, minerals and other floating particles in urine form into crystals that eventually turn into a hard mass and then into a stone. Discovering kidney stones is not that easy as there may be no signs or symptoms to detect them.
These stones cause a lot of pain when they break open and move into the bladder. The stones tend to come out of the body, causing pain. If the stone is large, it can block the flow of urine and cause pressure. This pressure causes very painful tensions and spasms.
Some of the different types of stones found in our body are
* Calcium stones are one of the most common stones found in the body. Due to the excess of calcium in the urine these stones are formed.
* Uric acid stone is found in almost 10% of patients. Uric acid is produced by digestion. If the acid level exceeds a certain level or is excreted, it may not dissolve leading to uric acid stone formation.
* Struvite stones are known as the infection stone. These develop when urinary tract infections cause a chemical imbalance in the urine, allowing bacteria to spread and rapidly develop into these stones.
* Cystine stones are one of the rarest stones found in a person. It is an amino acid that is built in urine to form a stone. The disease that causes cystine stones is inherited and should be given special attention.
Some ways to remove cystine stones are surgical. These are some of the ways to remove stones surgically.
* Extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy (ESWL)
* PCN (percutaneous nephrolithotomy-lithotripsy)
* Endourology (extraction or endoscopic manipulation)
* Parathyroid surgery
* Elimination of ureteroscopic stones
* Open surgery
Avoiding some of these things in your routine life would avoid surgery entirely. Are:
* taking care of your health
* have at least 8-10 glasses of water
* Get checked monthly by your doctor
* take your medications to prevent stones
* There is a high chance that the stones will repeat themselves, so be very careful.